New Motorhomes start from £63490
Motorhome Insurance Guide
Home > Blog > Motorhome Insurance Guide

Motorhome Insurance Guide

Travelling in your motorhome is great fun and means you have the freedom to explore new places with your family and friends. Whether you’re enjoying your retirement, or taking a well-earned break from your hectic lifestyle, motorhome holidays are a guaranteed way to relax and head out on the open road to your next destination.

However, there are some practical aspects that you should consider before driving off. Motorhome insurance is an important part of travelling and it’s a legal requirement that you should organise before going on your next trip! If you’re new to owning a motorhome, you may be wondering where to start when it comes to sorting out motorhome insurance. Let Premier Motorhomes offer you a helping hand.

Types of motorhome insurance

Motorhome insurance will cover the 8 different types of vehicle, including; micro, van conversion, camper van, coachbuilt or overcab, low-profile, A-class and even American RVs. Insurance providers may provide cover for all vehicle types, or will be specific or more selective about which vehicle they are willing to insure.

There are 3 different kinds of motorhome insurance policies. The most basic is ‘third party only’; this is the minimum level required by UK law. It will cover liability for injury and damage, but won’t cover accidental damage to your own vehicle. The next kind of policy is known as ‘third party fire and theft’. This will cover the same as third party only, as well as fire damage, theft and damage caused during the theft.

The most extensive level of protection is known as ‘comprehensive’. This will cover the same as the previous 2 policies, as well as covering your motorhome against at-fault damage. Comprehensive policies will differ between insurance providers, so make sure you check what your policy covers.

Understanding insurance excess

Excesses on your motorhome insurance policy is split into 2 types. The first is known as compulsory excess, and is the amount your insurance requires you to pay towards a claim.

The second is voluntary excess. This is the amount you agree to pay towards a claim, in addition to the compulsory excess. Bear in mind that the higher the excess, the lower your premium.

Finding the right motorhome insurance

Your motorhome insurance policy will depend on your budget, the amount of cover you require and even the distance you plan to travel. When looking for motorhome insurance, you should consider risks like vehicle crashes, windscreen replacement, as well as breakdown and vehicle recovery. Making sure your policy covers incidents like this could ensure you have a smooth journey and a stress-free holiday!

You should also remember that you may need contents cover. Motorhome insurance should provide some sort of protection for any personal possessions; remember that you might already have contents cover on your travel or home insurance.

Some insurance providers will offer discounts or deals on your insurance if you have met criteria. This includes driving shorter distances, keeping your motorhome in a secure storage when not in use and if you’re a member of a motorhome or owners’ club. You can also save money on your insurance by improving the security of your motorhome. Fitting anti-theft devices, removing non-fixed audio or visual gadgets and keeping the motorhome locked even on your driveway can all make a difference!